|1. Temptations||2. Friskies Party Mix||3. Feline Greenies|
Way to a man’s heart is through his stomach, and this phrase is true for cats too. Cats are fantastic pets, for plenty of reasons.
Cat parents love their cats, and cats love them back, but cats also love delectable food. There is no better way to pamper your cat and shower them with your love than to offer them the best cat treat.
If you have ever dreamt of a day, when your cat will shake them paws on your command or jump through hoops, then you can use palpable treats to motivate them and, you will see your kitty rolling over your commands.
Whether you want to encourage good behaviour, clean them teeth, or you want to reward them for being the best pet in the world, cat treats are a tasty solution to make your kitty feel supercilious.
There is an endless range of products available in the market in the name of cat treats. Many such cat treats are full of unhealthy ingredients and calories that will only make your feline friend lazy and obese.
You can choose between the junk ones and the ones that are truly healthy and tasty; the decision is all yours. In this article, we will discuss the healthiest and the best cat treats for kittens.
Most of the new cat parents make one common mistake when buying treats for their beloved cats, that they don’t know how to read labels and how to distinguish between right and wrong ingredients.
But, ingredients do play an essential role in cat treats and should be considered before buying these tasty snacks.
If you want to save yourself from regular visits to the vet, get the treats that are made from natural ingredients that do not contain artificial preservatives, flavours, and colours, and that also support cat health along with great taste.
In this piece of writing, we will discuss different types of cat treats, benefits of using cat treats and factors to consider before you by these treats.
Along with these facts, we will also present 16 best treats for cats recommended by our experts. In the end, we will answer a few more questions that may help you make an informed decision while selecting and feeding your cats with delightful treats.
Types Of Cat Treats
There are a wide range of cat treats available in the market and these treats are not just mouth-watering, but they also are full of nutritional content that can keep your cat free from many health-related issues.
Theme we have bought some of the most popular categories of cat treats that are being used by concerned cat parents to keep their kittens happy and healthy.
1. Raw Cat Treats
Cats are wild animals who hunt animals to eat. Thus, fresh food is supposed to be the healthiest form of food for cats because it contains nutrients like taurine in abundance, which is a must for a cat’s good health. But providing indoor cats with raw food can become slightly troublesome for a few cat parents.
So, if you can’t feed your cat with raw cat food regularly, you can start using cat treats made of raw meat to satisfy their inner lion, and at the same time, you can also provide your cat with essential nutrients.
2. Hand-Made Cat Treats
Some small companies are making hand-made organic cat treats just by cutting, mixing, and baking the natural ingredients used in cat food. These hand-made treats are delicious, healthy, and have a perfect crunch to get kitty’s attention.
3. Moist Cat Treats
Moist or wet cat treats have perfect flavour and enough gravy to satisfy a cat’s appetite. These treats are made using minimum processing and are also great for hydrating cats. Moist cat treats can also be served as a topping on cats’ food.
4. GI Support Cat Treats
Some brands have come up with a cat treat formula that can satisfy your kitty’s GI health. These treats are highly palatable and packed with prebiotics to provide GI support.
5. Grain-Free Cat Treats
Grains are not suitable for cats, so you have an option to choose treats for your cats that are grain-free and full of healthy meats.
6. Dental Cat Treats
Cats can suffer different types of dental issues from time to time; to cure them, you need a vet. But if you wish to prevent your cats from dental problems buying cat treats that support dental health is an excellent alternative. Best treats for cats can keep your cat’s teeth cleaner and healthier.
7. Cat Treats For Hairballs
Hairballs are another major problem for our kitty’s face. These hairballs are also swollen by them, which is very unhealthy and can create further health issues in their lungs and stomach. To keep your cats safe from hairballs treating them with anti-hairball treats is a good idea.
Benefits Of Using Cat Treats
Pet treats are often accused of leaving unhealthy and disastrous effects on pets. But if you choose your pet treat, wisely, your beloved pet can attain a handful of benefits from them. Let’s have a look at the benefits of selecting healthy cat treats.
What can be the biggest desire of any cat parent than seeing their lovely child growing and living a healthy and playful life? Quality of food can significantly affect the quality of life and longevity.
To increase the vibrancy of your cat’s life, feed them with the snacks that are not overly processed and that don’t have chemicals that can put their lifespan at risk. Buying healthy cat treats with high nutritional value can increase your cat?s life.
2. Healthy And Beautiful Appeal
The appearance of your pet reflects their overall health. Feeding pets with healthy snacks can make them look better, and they feel good. Best cat treats can have a direct impact on their coat, skin, nails, and vision.
Natural and organic pet treats are rich in nutritional value. They do not have ingredients such as artificial flavours, colours, chemical additives, and toxic pesticides or preservatives that may develop a handful of issues on your pet’s health.
3. Decrease In Allergic Reactions
Both dogs and cats can suffer from food-related allergies like humans. Unfortunately, just a single artificial or unhealthy ingredient in your cat treats can develop many health problems or can even become potentially life-threatening. But natural cat treats are free from these ingredients, and they keep your pet safe.
4. Bye-Bye To Hairballs
Hairballs can create a very unhygienic sight at the house, and if your pet swallows these hairballs in large quantities, then these hairballs can create an intestinal blockage that can make your cat sick. Organic treats are the best cat treats for kittens, packed with high-quality proteins that help in producing healthy and silky skin coat and reduces hairballs.
5. Healthy Weight Management
Obesity is not just a problem of human beings; it has also become a big problem in pets, especially cats and dogs. If you want to save your pet from becoming lazy and fat, then you should always treat them with less fattening treats that are low in calories and high in nutritional value.
Factors To Consider Before Buying The Best Cat Treat
1. Organic and Natural
Organic farming is a way of producing plants or rearing animals naturally without using synthetic substances. They are free from pesticides, chemicals, artificial hormones, and harmful antibiotics. You must select a commercial cat food complies with the regulations of USDA and AAFCO to ensure that your cat is eating a portion of safe & healthy food.
2. Meat Treats
Being vegan is one of the newest fads in human society, and there’s no harm if humans turn into vegan because it is not easy for our digestive system to digest meat. It is also relevant in decreasing animal cruelty.
But cats are true carnivores and they rely on the nutrients that come from meat hence you cannot turn your cat vegan, ‘period’. We know it is hard for vegan cat parents to feed meat treats, but it is in the best interest of your cat because they cannot survive without eating meat.
3. Cure Specific Conditions
Some cats can have different health-related issues such as obesity, diabetes, hairballs, kidney or liver issues. These problems can occur with age like they do in humans, or because of unhealthy feeding habits.
We all want to make our cats feel special, and if we include cat treats in their food that can treat their medical conditions, it will not just amuse your cat but will also keep them healthy. For example, if your cat is diabetic or obese, buying low-calorie food is a great idea.
4. Check The Ingredients
As already mentioned in beginning, ingredients are an essential part of cat food. Decoding ingredients in the best cat treats is an art to learn.theme are a few essential tips that will help you to understand the labels of cat treats:
- 95% Rule: If cat food is labeled as chicken for a cat, then it must have 95% or more of the chicken of the total weight in dry food, and it should be 70% if the moisture is added. In cat or dog food, 95% label can only be applied to animal-based ingredients because the meat is the main ingredient of the premium cat food. Therefore, only products that contain 95% or more chicken, turkey, beef, fish, or any other meat-based ingredient can use this label. Most of the commercial cat foods don’t have such labels.
- 25% Rule: Cat foods that are labeled as “Chicken Dinner” or “Beef Entr?e” should have 25% of the labeled ingredient without including the water content into it. If two or more named ingredients are included in such labels, then the total of all the ingredients together must be 25%, and every individual ingredient should make up a minimum of 3% of the total weight.
So, if the label says chicken and rice dinner, it means that rice in the food is 3%, and chicken should be more than rice because ingredients are listed in decreasing values on the labels. Lastly, both chicken and rice should together make up 25% of the packaged food.
1. 3% Rule or ?with? Rule: If any ingredient is included in the treatment using ‘with’ next to its name, then that ingredient is only 3% of the total product. For example, if the label says cat food with chicken, then it means that it contains only 3% of chicken, whereas of the cat treat says chicken cat food 95% rule will be applied.
2. Five Ingredients are Essential: Ingredients in the cat foods are listed in decreasing order, which means the ingredient which is more in quantity will come first. Because cats are carnivores, the first five ingredients of the cat treats should be meat-based only.
3. Avoid By-products: Treats that have a large number of by-products or are entirely based on them should be avoided. By-products are part of the animal carcass that may contain leftover bones, organs, blood, and beak. Products with preservatives such as “BHA”, “BHT”, or “ethoxyquin” should be avoided by all means as well.
4. Good and Bad Ingredients: You can buy products that have a reasonable number of veggies and fruits. Chicken, turkey, and beef are considered as the right ingredients. Seafood ingredients are also good for cats that don’t have seafood allergies.
Soy, corn, rice, or flour are called harmful ingredients in cat food, and they are often used as cheap fillers. You should avoid cat treats that contain these ingredients.
5. Analyze Nutritional Value: Lastly, analyzing protein, carbohydrates, fats, vitamins, amino acid, omega three, omega 6, taurine, and other minerals is also an essential factor. All these elements should be carefully read, and if needed, you can take the help of your vet in analyzing them.
Top 16 Best Cat Treats 2020
1. Temptations Classic
If, as a cat parent, you want to ensure that you feed high-quality, feline-friendly, nutritious, and tasty treats, then temptation cat treats are the best cat treats. They are organic and functional treats that help you to keep your cat’s teeth clean and are made with 100% natural ingredients.
Variety of Flavors: You can get these treats in different tastes like tuna, dairy, and chicken. Hence you can pick the flavor that your cat loves most. Many cat owners have claimed that their cats love dairy flavored temptation treats.
Great Texture: Temptation Cat Treats have a texture that no cat can resist. They are Crunchy from outside and Soft-creamy for inside.
Easy to Serve: This treat comes in easy to handle containers, and all you have to do is shake, open, and serve.
- Every piece of this delicious cat treat has less than two calories, so you can feed them little more without being worried about your cat’s weight.
- These treats are packed with amino acid, taurine, and different vitamins that are essential for a cat’s good health.
- These super tasty treats are also free from artificial and harmful colors, flavors and preservatives.
- For some cat owners, who prefer natural and eco-friendly packaging, plastic containers can be a big put off point.
2. Friskies Party Mix Cat Treats
When you give Friskies to your cat, their treat time turns into an ocean of fun because of the irresistible taste, texture, and shape. The recipe is made using real ocean whitefish, which is also #1 ingredient of this product.
Real Ocean Fish: These delectable treats are made with real ocean whitefish, which means they are packed with omega 3, omega, and omega 6 fatty acids and lean protein, which is essential for cats’ health.
Available in Different Flavors: These treats come in tuna, crab, and shrimp flavors.
Low Calories: These treats provide less than 2 calories in each serving.
- The crunchy texture of the Friskies keeps the cat?s teeth clean.
- They are an excellent option for weight management of the cats.
- You cannot feed these treats to the cats who are allergic to white fish meat.
3. Feline Greenies
AFFCO Guidelines: These treats are made under strict guidelines of AFFCO to meet your cat?s dental needs.
Low Calories: These treats are low in calories; thus, they will keep your cat in a healthy weight.
Tartar Control: Tartar build-up is responsible for tooth loss, but using these treats can help your cat?s teeth free from tartar and plaque.
- They help your cat?s breath stay fresh.
- These treats keep your cat?s teeth clean.
- These treats are full of healthy enzymes that help fight harmful bacteria in the mouth.
- Older cats with weak teeth may not be able to chew easily.
4. Crispy Crunch Delectable
Great Packaging: These treats are packed in sealed bags to ensure optimal freshness.
Fun Shape and Great Texture: The fun shape of these treats and the crunchy texture makes them very devouring for cats.
Pleasant Flavors: They are made with lip-smacking roasted chicken flavor, grilled shrimps, grilled seafood, seared tuna, and regular tuna flavor that no cat can refuse to eat.
- There is a flavor for every cat, and even the pickiest eater will select the one that is their favorite.
- It supports the health of cats in all stages of life.
- You can buy them in single-serve packs.
- Your cat might not want to eat anything else after tasting this delicious treat.
5. Whole Life Pet Dried Cat Treats
They are freeze-dried in a way that all the nutrients and flavors of salmon remain intact. You can serve them directly to your cat, or you can use them as toppings on your cat’s food. You can also soak them in water to gain soft and creamy texture.
100% Real Salmon: These treats are made using 100% Real salmon only.
Packed with Real Nutrients: Every bite contains the goodness of salmon and is packed with omega 3, vitamin B, and selenium that are essential for a cat’s health.
Gluten-Free: It is a single ingredient recipe that is free of gluten, chemicals, preservatives, and other additives.
- These treats are ideal snacks for your cats because they are low in carbs, fats, and full of nutrients and pure protein without any fillers.
- This brand guarantees to provide 100% verified and traceable ingredients.
- Some cats with fish allergies might not be able to eat it.
6. Meowy Janes Matatabi
Matabi is a plant from East Asia, and thus, these treats are more prevalent in China and Japan. If you love watching your cat roll all over you, then rub the barks of these sticks to release the natural aroma of oils and give it to your kitty.
You will see how your kitty will come rolling all over you. Your kitty will devour into this lip-smacking best cat treats in no time.
7-9 Stick Packs: These sticks are approximately 5 inches long, and they come in a box of 7 or 9 sticks.
Used as Toothbrush: Matatabi sticks promote dental health, and thus they can be used as a toothbrush.
Reusable: You can remove the part that is gnawed by your cat and keep the rest for next time. You can use the sticks as many times as you wish.
- It is safe for cats to use even if the stick breaks during play.
- Promotes dental health and relieves anxiety in cats.
- They are made from 100% natural ingredients.
- Owners will have to clean the little pieces of bark that may fall off when cats play and eat these sticks, which is a bit annoying for cat owners.
7. Inaba Chicken Fillet
Your hungry kitty will gulp down these hand-cut, lightly-grilled fillet of farm-raised chicken without having second thoughts. These treats are packed with flavorful protein taken from real meat and chicken broth.
Boosts Nutrition: These treats have added vitamin E to boost nutrition in feline pets.
Use of Safe Meat: These treats are made using only fresh tuna or farm-raised chicken.
Free of Additives: They don’t contain preservatives, colors, and flavors.
- The real broth in the treats adds a lot of moisture that is healthy for cats
- These treats are packed with Vitamin E, which is excellent for fur, skin, and eye health of your feline friend.
- Many buyers have given the brand five stars because of the perfect price.
- These treats come in single-serving portions that are enough for adult cats, but if you are feeding them to your kittens, you will have to cut them into small pieces.
8. Inaba Tuna Fillet Grilled
INABA treats are easy to serve as your cat can lick them directly from the tube, or you can add them as a topping on both wet and dry food. They don’t contain grains, artificial flavors or any other chemicals and preservatives.
Two Layers: They have a chewable outer layer that is filled with creamy and tasty under layer.
Easy to Use: These treats are easy to use because you can simply squeeze them on your cat’s food.
Hydrating: They contain moisture and water content in the right quantity, which is excellent for feline health and keeps your cat hydrated.
- Great chewy and creamy texture that is loved by kitties.
- These moist treats come in chicken and tuna recipes.
- The fish flavors come with a strong smell that can be a little unattractive for owners.
9. Feline Greenies Smartbite
These treats are made with dual texture, and they contain chicken and fish proteins. They are packed with essential ingredients to control your cat’s hairball issues. Greenies smartbites are the best cat treats that promote healthy digestion when they are fed with the hairball control diet.
Dual Texture: These treats come in dual texture as they are creamy from inside and crunchy outside.
Balanced Treat: The plant-based fiber in these treats, along with many essential vitamins and minerals, makes it balanced treats for cats.
Hairball Control: Greenies smartbites are crafted with natural ingredients to promote skin and coat health and control hairball. The fiber blend formula of these treats also stops the formation of hairballs in cats digestive tract.
- Each serving contains less than two calories.
- They are crafted with irresistible chicken and tuna recipes.
- It is not meant for kittens who are less than one year old.
10. Cats Molar Sticks
100% natural cat sticks are made to promote cats’ dental health; these sticks also relieve anxiety and stress as the cats play with them. Cats love playing and chewing these sticks. They indulge in activities that make them look super cute, like running, licking, purring, and rolling when playing with these sticks.
Guarantees 100% Satisfaction: The company promises to give you a refund if your cat doesn’t like the sticks.
Environment-friendly Packaging: These sticks come in reusable, and eco-friendly packaging, which keeps these sticks fresh and healthy.
High-quality: These sticks are 100% natural, unprocessed and heat treated.
- It provides natural dental care to your cat?s teeth and gums by keeping them clean and preventing plaque build-ups through.
- These treats come with a warning to use in a moderate quantity and not give more than three sticks in a day.
11. Basics Flavors Food Topper
They are perfect if you want a topping to sprinkle over your cat’s kibble. These treats transform your cat’s bowl into a meaty-licious treat that every cat wants to gulp.
Made with Natural Ingredients: The simplicity of these treats is that they are made using real chicken, chicken broth, and sweet potatoes, and no harmful components are used in these treat packs.
Made in the USA: These treats are made in the USA in an FDA registered facility, and therefore, you can trust the brand for quality and purity.
Instant topper: This topping comes in a powdered form that easily blends with the food and can be mixed with water too.
- It is a low-calorie product that provides all the essential nutrients for your cat.
- It is a grain-free product, and no allergens or artificial elements are added in it that may cause allergy to your cat.
- The powder can sometimes create a little mess that cat owners might not like.
12. Delightibles Center-Filled
If you have ever thought of rewarding your cats with a snack, they can truly devour into, and you don’t feel guilty of feeding them anything unhealthy, then these Delightibles cat treats are perfect for your kitty.
These dual-textured, crispy, and creamy treats are locked with valuable nutrients and are filled with different cat favorite ingredients. Their flavors are so enduring that no cat can say no to these tasty treats.
Made in the USA: They are made in the USA, and they come with a guarantee of purity.
Variant Flavors: These treats come in different flavors beef, chicken, turkey, seafood medley, salmon, tuna & dairy flavors.
Premium Treats: It is a premium treat, which means it follows a 95% rule.
- They do not contain wheat, soy, BHA, BHT, or any other artificial ingredients.
- They are high in protein and low in carbs.
- These treats are too hard to chew for older cats who have weak teeth.
13. Jerky Cat Hare
This brand truly believes that animals are man?s best friend, and they deserve the best food and nutrition, and that?s what the company delivers in its products. They use rabbit muscle meat, skin, and bones to make this treat healthy and delicious for cats.
Made of 100% Rabbit: This product is made of 100% USDA Inspected rabbits that are farmed only in America.
Free from Allergens: It does not contain grains and any other element that can create allergies in cats.
Any Pet can Eat: They can be fed to all the pets that eat meat, like cats, dogs, and ferrets.
- Rabbit meat is considered lean meat; thus, it helps your cat in weight management.
- It is an excellent alternative for cats that cannot eat seafood.
- For kittens or elder cats who have weak teeth, it is too hard to chew, and you will have to break it into pieces before serving it to older cats.
14. Best Paw Freeze-Dried
This brand promises to treat pets as one of its own. Vets recommend these treats for healthy weight management. They are full of nutritional content that plays a vital role in the pet?s health in all stages of life.
Superfood for Cats: These treats are made only from pristine cold water premium fish that come from deep clean waters of Iceland, and all-natural Alaskan salmon.
No Harmful Ingredients: It contains zero hormones, antibiotics, flavors, fillers, colors, or preservatives.
Ultimate Benefit of Omega 3: It is a package of vitamins & nutrition that are essential to keep your fur baby?s immune system, metabolism, digestion in excellent condition. The omega-three fatty acids in this product keep your cats skin, coat, joints, bones, teeth & muscles active. It helps them to fight allergies.
- They are great for weight management, as they contain no carbs.
- You can also feed these treats to cats who are suffering from diabetes.
- You can feed it to all your four-legged animals, be it cats, dogs, or ferrets.
- If your cat is allergic to seafood, then these treats are not meant for them.
15. Sheba Meaty Tender Sticks Salmon
Your cat will have an out of the world experience when she will start chewing these premium cat treats that are packed with real salmon meat. These scrumptious treats are super tender and soft, formed in stick shapes that are easy to break.
Premium Product: It is one of the best treats for cats, made with 100% salmon meat, free of grains, which is delicious.
Pack of 5: Each packet contains five soft and chewy sticks.
Packed with Nutrients: Salmon is an excellent source of lean protein and omega-3 fatty acids, which are great for the cat?s health.
- It is just the right size of a treat for your kitty. You can feed one stick to adult cats and a half to kittens.
- This product has received five stars from customers because even the pickiest cats don?t refuse to eat these tasty bites.
- The sticks are easy to feed, and can be broken into small pieces easily.
- The sticks are super soft, and sometimes small portions can get stick to your hands, creating little mess.
16. Ultra Mega Hip & Joint
With age and sometimes, due to unfortunate events or an unhealthy diet, cats may suffer hip and joint issues, and they can start limping. This cat treat can prevent and cure such hip and joint problems in cats.
Amazing texture: Adult cats may be suffering from dental issues, they require soft food that is easy to chew, and this is exactly what this product provides. These treats have great taste along with a soft and chewy texture that your cat cannot ignore.
Full of special nutrients to support joint health: These treats are packed with 200 mg glucosamine, 100 mg chondroitin, and 100 mg MSM so that your adult cat can move without limping again.
Omega-three: The company has also added omega 3, which is essential for bones and joint health.
- Adult cats stop limping after they are given these treats regularly.
- The cats who lose their teeth in adult age can also devour these treats.
- This treat can only be used after consulting with the vet.
- They are not safe for pregnant cats and cats that have clotting disorders, diabetes, allergies from shellfish.
Frequently Asked Questions on Cat Treats
1. What Is The Shelf Life Of The Cat Treats?
Usually, the best cat treats may last from1 to 5 years, depending upon how they are made. The date of the expiry of cat treats is similar to dry food items. You can find the date of the expiry printed on each product.
2. How Many Cat Treats Are Enough For Cats?
Most of the cat treats that have been listed here will not bring any harm to your feline friend even if eaten in a bit extra quantity because they are all made from natural ingredients without additives, and they have less than 2% of the calories. Still, when feeding the treats to cats, moderation is the key, and they should not extend 10% of everyday diet.
3. Why Should Treats Be Part Of A Cat’s Diet Plan?
Whether it is humans or cats, we all love our treats and gifts. But treats in cats can promote good health and good behavior. You can use the best cat treats to train your feline friend.
The Bottom Line
Cats may suffer many health-related issues as we humans do, and caring for cats is not at all easy. Proper nutrition is the key to your cat?s overall health and selection of healthy cat food is key to adequate nutrition.
The market has a wide range of cat treats, but finding the best ones is a daunting task. If you are a new cat parent who is confused about selecting the best cat treats, then treat this article as a guide and buy the best treats for your kitten.
The best food for your cat replicates what she will eat in the wild and based on this idea, and we have created this entire list of cat treats. You can easily compare the factors mentioned with the brand you wish to purchase and select the best cat treat for kittens.
As far as the price is concerned, you don’t have to be worried about it as we have listed all the best cat treats that come at affordable prices. So, share the best cat treats with your cats and keep them healthy, happy, and active.